Last Updated: February 7, 2023
Information We Obtain
We obtain personal information about you in various ways, such as when you use your Marathon ARCO Rewards account, visit our website and or use our mobile app (collectively, the “Services”). We also may obtain personal information about you offline, such as when you call, mail or fax us, or use your Marathon ARCO Rewards account with one of our program partners at a fuel station. The types of personal information we may obtain include:
- Contact information, such as name, telephone number and postal and email address;
- Account information, such as login information, account preferences and other account details;
- Payment information, including name, billing and delivery address, and payment card details;
- Demographic information, such as date of birth;
- Location information;
- Information about your visits to and purchases at our program partners’ fuel stations;
- Social media information, such your social media handle; and
- Other information you choose to provide, such as through emails or other communications, social media pages, surveys, registrations and sign-up forms.
When you use our Services or open our emails, we may obtain certain information by automated means, such as cookies, pixel tags, server or device logs and other technologies. A “cookie” is a text file that websites send to a visitor’s device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A “pixel tag” (also known as a web beacon), which is a type of technology that is often used in combination with cookies, is placed on a website or within an email to track certain activity, such as views of a website or when an email is opened. These technologies help us (1) remember your information so you do not have to re-enter it; (2) track and understand how you use and interact with the Services; (3) tailor the Services around your preferences; (4) measure the usability of the Services and the effectiveness of our communications; (5) authenticate your identity, protect against fraud and provide our products and services; and (6) otherwise manage and enhance our products and services, and help ensure they are working properly.
We may use these automated technologies on the Services to collect information about your device, browsing actions, and usage patterns. We obtain information about your device and web browser in this manner such as your device IP address, location information, unique device identifiers, device type and model, device characteristics and settings, browser settings and characteristics, operating system type and version, language and country preferences, battery and signal strength, usage statistics, referring emails and web addresses, and other application details. We also may obtain information about your interactions with our Services, such as pages visited, links clicked, features used, dates and times of usage, session information, and other information about your use of our Services.
Your browser may tell you how to be notified about certain types of automated collection technologies and how to restrict or disable them. Please note, however, that without these technologies, you may not be able to use all of the features of the Services. For mobile devices, you can manage how your device and browser share certain device data by adjusting the privacy and security settings on your mobile device.
How We Use the Information We Obtain
We may use the personal information we obtain to:
- Enroll you in and administer your participation in Marathon ARCO Rewards;
- Provide our products and services and manage your accounts;
- Process and fulfill transactions in connection with our program partners’ products and services;
- Communicate with you (including providing you with offers and other communications about the products and services of our program partners), respond to inquiries and offer customer support;
- Personalize your experience with our products and services;
- Advertise and market our products and services or those of our program partners;
- Administer participation in surveys, sweepstakes, promotions or other programs;
- Perform analytics and market, trend or statistical research;
- Compile, anonymize or aggregate personal data for our business purposes;
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services; improving and analyzing our products and services; managing our communications; and performing accounting, auditing and other internal functions);
- Maintain and enhance the safety and security of our products and services, prevent misuse and troubleshoot technical issues;
- Verify your identity and protect against fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities; and
- Exercise our rights and remedies and defend against legal claims;
- Comply with and enforce applicable legal requirements, relevant industry standards and Marathon policies, including the program’s Terms & Conditions.
We also may use the information in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
Third-Party Analytics Services
We may use third-party analytics services on the Services, such as Google Analytics. The providers of these analytics services use technologies such as cookies and web beacons to help us analyze your use of the Services. The information collected through these means may be disclosed to or collected directly by these services. To learn more about Google Analytics, please visit https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
Information We Share
We may share the information we obtain about you with our affiliated companies and joint marketing partners. Because Marathon ARCO Rewards is a partner rewards program, by participating in Marathon ARCO Rewards, you are intentionally disclosing your personal information or interacting with all the participating program partners, including participating Marathon affiliates, dealers and jobbers. For additional information on the program partners, please see our Terms & Conditions.
We also may share the information we obtain about you with third-party vendors and other entities to perform services on our behalf, such as technology and communications providers, payment processing and billing service providers, advertising and marketing service providers, and others. We may share your personal information with social media platforms if you use those services to connect with us.
We may disclose personal information (1) if we are required to do so by law or legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; (2) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities; (3) to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights; (4) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical or other harm or financial loss; (5) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity or (6) otherwise with your consent or as directed by your representative.
We reserve the right to transfer any personal information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a merger, acquisition, joint venture, reorganization, divestiture, dissolution or liquidation).
We do not intend to share contact information obtained from short code messages with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes.
Your Rights and Choices
How We Protect Personal Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect personal information against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized access, destruction, loss, alteration, disclosure or use.
Links to Third-Party Services and Features
For your convenience and information, the Services may provide links to other online services (such as websites or social media platforms), and may include third-party features such as apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins. These online services and third-party features may operate independently from us. The privacy practices of the relevant third parties, including details on the information they may collect about you, are subject to the privacy statements of these parties, which we strongly suggest you review. To the extent any linked online services or third-party features are not owned or controlled by Marathon, we are not responsible for these third parties’ information practices.
How to Contact Us
MARATHON ARCO REWARDS CALIFORNIA CONSUMER PRIVACY STATEMENT
Last Updated: November 23, 2022
This California Consumer Privacy Statement uses certain terms that have the meaning given to them in the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act of 2020) and its implementing regulations (collectively, the “CCPA”).
Notice of Collection and Use of Personal Information
We may collect (and may have collected during the 12-month period prior to the effective date of this California Consumer Privacy Statement) the following categories of personal information about you:
- Identifiers: identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier (such as a device identifier; cookies, beacons, pixel tags, mobile ad identifiers, and similar technology; customer number, unique pseudonym, or user alias; telephone number and other forms of persistent or probabilistic identifiers), online identifier, IP address, email address, account name, and other similar identifiers
- Additional Data Subject to Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80: credit card number, debit card number, or other financial information
- Protected Classifications: characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law, such as age.
- Commercial Information: commercial information, including records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, and other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies
- Online Activity: Internet and other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, and information regarding your interaction with websites, applications or advertisements
- Geolocation Data
- Sensory Information: audio, electronic, visual, and similar information
- Inferences: inferences drawn from any of the information identified above to create a profile about you reflecting your preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
We do not collect or process sensitive personal information for purposes of inferring characteristics about consumers.
- Performing services, including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying customer information, processing payments, providing financing, providing analytics services, providing storage, or providing similar services;
- Providing advertising and marketing services;
- Auditing related to counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions, and auditing compliance;
- Short-term, transient use, such as nonpersonalized advertising shown as part of your current interaction with us;
- Helping to ensure security and integrity;
- Undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of our services or devices and to improve, upgrade, or enhance them;
- Debugging to identify and repair errors; and
- Undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration.
Retention of Personal Information
Sources of Personal Information
During the 12-month period prior to the effective date of this California Consumer Privacy Statement, we may have obtained personal information about you from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you, such as when you enroll and participate in Marathon ARCO Rewards
- Your devices, such as when you use our Services
- Our affiliates and jobbers
- Vendors who provide services on our behalf
- Our joint marketing and business partners
- Online advertising services
- Data analytics providers
- Operating systems and platforms
- Social networks
- Data brokers
Sale or Sharing of Personal Information
We do not sell your personal information in exchange for monetary compensation. We may share your personal information by allowing certain third parties (such as online advertising services) to collect personal information via automated technologies on our websites and apps for cross-context behavioral advertising purposes. This kind of sharing may be considered a “sale” under California law when the personal information is exchanged for non-monetary consideration. You have the right to opt out of these types of disclosures of your information.
We may sell or share for cross-context behavioral advertising purposes (and may have sold or shared during the 12-month period prior to the effective date of this California Consumer Privacy Statement) the following categories of personal information about you to online advertising services:
- Commercial Information
- Online Activity
You have the right to opt-out of this disclosure of your information, as detailed below. We do not have actual knowledge that we sell or share the personal information of minors under 16 years of age.
Disclosure of Personal Information
During the 12-month period prior to the effective date of this California Consumer Privacy Statement, we may have disclosed the following categories of personal information about you for a business purpose to the following categories of third parties:
|Category of Personal Information
|Categories of Third Parties
In addition to the categories of third parties identified above, during the 12-month period prior to the effective date of this California Consumer Privacy Statement, we may have disclosed personal information about you to government entities and third parties in connection with corporate transactions, such as mergers, acquisitions or divestitures.
California Consumer Privacy Rights
You may have certain choices regarding your personal information, as described below.
- Access: You have the right to request, twice in a 12-month period, that we disclose to you the personal information we have collected, used, disclosed, and sold and shared about you.
- Correction: You have the right to request that we correct the personal information we maintain about you, if that information is inaccurate.
- Deletion: You have the right to request that we delete certain personal information we have collected from you.
- Opt-Out of Sale or Sharing: You have the right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information or the sharing of your personal information for cross-context behavioral advertising purposes.
- Shine the Light Request: You also may have the right to request that we provide you with (a) a list of certain categories of personal information we have disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year and (b) the identity of those third parties.
Verifying Requests. To help protect your privacy and maintain security, we will take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to your personal information or complying with your deletion or correction request. If you have a Marathon ARCO Rewards account with us, we may verify your identity by requiring you to sign in to your account. If you do not have a Marathon ARCO Rewards account with us and you request access to, correction of or deletion of your personal information, we may require you to verify your email address or phone number in our records and/or provide any of the following information:
- Contact information (such as name, email, phone number, and address); and
- An indication of your prior contact with Marathon (such as status as participation in a focus group or survey, prior contact with customer service, or other contact).
In addition, if you ask us to provide you with specific pieces of personal information, we may require you to sign a declaration under penalty of perjury that you are the consumer whose personal information is the subject of the request.
Additional Information. If you choose to exercise any of your rights under the CCPA, you have the right to not receive discriminatory treatment by us. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may charge a reasonable fee to comply with your request.
Notice of Financial Incentive